Benefits to suit your lifestyle
We offer development opportunities, flexible working and range of lifestyle benefits - so that you can truly get the most out of your career with the UKHO.
We care about our people
We offer a range of benefits to support your lifestyle including generous leave allowance, flexible working hours, a lift-share scheme, and regular training and development opportunities.
It’s important that you take time out and enjoy a good work-life balance; to help ensure this, we offer:
Generous leave allowance:
- 26½ annual leave days per year, rising to 31½ days after five years’ service (pro-rata for part-time employees)
- Nine paid bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time employees)
Plus a range of flexible working options including:
- Flexible working hours scheme, including up to two days per month flexi leave
- Part-time working
- Job sharing
- Paid special leave (e.g. volunteering, Reserve Forces)
- Career breaks
- Unpaid leave
Also, if you have or are expecting children, we want to support you which is why we offer:
- An on-site, independently run nursery with discounted prices for children of UKHO employees
- Childcare vouchers
- Enhanced maternity pay
- Enhanced shared parental pay
- Enhanced adoption pay
We care about your health and wellbeing and we will help you to take care of yourself through:
- An Employee Assistance Programme, providing trained wellbeing and counselling practitioners, 24/7 telephone support, and a dedicated website
- Encouraging regular conversations about wellbeing as part of your monthly 1:1 with your line manager
- Occupational health services
- Yearly flu jabs
- Free on-site gym (available with CSSC membership)
- Free eye tests
- Chaplaincy service
Work for a learning organisation
We believe our people are the key to our success and we want to help you reach your full potential. When you start your career with us, you will work with your line manager to create your development plan.
- At least five days’ learning and development per year
- Professional membership subscriptions
- Talent management
- Mentoring (mentee or mentor) and coaching
- Online courses that can be accessed from home via Civil Service Learning
- Study leave
The UKHO apprenticeship scheme can help you to develop skills under the mentorship of internal experts while furthering your education and gaining a formal qualification at the same time.
Your office environment and getting here
We work in a modern, environmentally friendly, purpose-built office, which mirrors our ambition to be a world-leading, forward-looking, data-centric organisation.
We have recently won two major national awards for our building at a virtual ceremony held in June 2021 by the British Council of Offices (BCO), which sets regulatory standards for offices worldwide. We won in the 'Corporate Workplace' category and the 'Best of the Best' award.
We also offer the following support in your daily journey:
- Car-share scheme
- Cycle to work scheme (salary sacrifice)
- Season ticket/bike loan
- Bicycle servicing for those who regularly cycle to work
We want you to feel part of something bigger and we encourage team spirit and a community feel in our workplace. You may wish to be involved with the following:
- Charity – each year you will be invited to vote for our 'Charity of the Year' and support fundraising through cake sales, quizzes, sports activities and more
- A wide range of clubs and groups, sharing hobbies and interests
- The ‘Right to Read’ scheme – a volunteer scheme with a local primary school to promote literacy
One of the key benefits you’ll receive is a highly competitive pension. Working with us, you’ll automatically qualify to join the generous Civil Service Pension Scheme. Most new joiners will join alpha.
As well as pension, there are other benefits available through the scheme, which you can read about at at Civil Service Pensions.
Pay is one part of our overall employment package. We use external market and internal data to help us carefully determine the level of each of our pay ranges. Your salary will be paid to you monthly and will be reviewed annually, with effect from 1 August.
Corporate performance and achievement is rewarded through a team performance award.
In addition, our managers have the opportunity to recognise excellent performance, through our special bonus scheme and voucher award scheme.
As a UKHO employee, you’ll also benefit from some of the discount schemes available to Ministry of Defence employees as well as to Civil Servants as a whole; these include:
- Access to Defence Discount Service – which offers major-brand discounts, online and on the high street
- Access to UKHO Staff Discount Scheme – which offers discounts at local and national organisations
- Access to Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC) – which organises hundreds of events, activities and special offers for members every year
Join our team and discover your next career opportunity at the UKHO. View our latest vacancies across the organisation and find out how to apply.
Working at the UKHO
As a UKHO employee, you'll benefit from flexible working, regular development opportunities, and much more. Our award-winning office in Taunton, Somerset also provides an open and dynamic workplace for our people.
Our apprenticeship scheme offers valuable skills and experience to support your career development. Today, we offer a wide variety of apprenticeships across different roles and at different levels of qualification.
Software engineering careers
Find out more about software engineering at the UK Hydrographic Office and how you can apply for one of our specialist roles.